Friday, March 21, 2014

Fresh Veggies in the Winter

Actually it's time to start planning for your winter vegetables now, especially for those of us who cannot grow vegetables in the winter without having a heated greenhouse.  How you say?

I plan my culturing, canning, freezing and dehydrating BEFORE I make my garden plan.  I need to know how many veggies I will need to fill my pantry.  Remember that you should only freeze or dehydrate what you will use through the next growing season.  Cultured veggies can last all winter under the right conditions if they are not canned....and they are best never canned anyway (sauerkraut).

I ran across this great article on Culturing your Veggies.  It's a great way to have a healthy snack!

fermented vegetables


Part of the reason I have an extra refrigerator in my kitchen is because I need so much room to keep raw nuts (should never be stored out of the frig or freezer) and all the cultured veggies I have.  I love to serve them when having guests in pretty bowls with pretty little spoons.  The guests always dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment