Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Toddler Size Chicken Pot Pies

I don't have an actual recipe for you today, just a technique! 

I don't know about you but I often need a quick lunch for Gabby and sometimes a lunch that I can take for me when I go out with the girls, etc.  Being Gluten-Intolerant is sometimes a problem but if have something to take along then, well, it's no longer a problem.  I can just add a drink and take one of these little pies and my own salad and I'm good to go.


Here's the pan I used.  I also use these pans to make sandwich buns for myself. This would also make perfect individual sweet pies and I plan to try this tomorrow.

MAKE YOUR PIE CRUST

Use the pie crust recipe you use for any pie you make.  I refrigerate mine for at least an hour.

MAKE YOUR CHICKEN GRAVY MIX

You can use any left-over chicken you have, chicken you've picked off the bones when you make stock or just a couple of legs cooked up in some water (make broth for the recipe by adding a couple carlic cloves, some onion, the leaf ends of a couple stalks of celery).  Dice up the chicken.



I used some left-over peas and carrots and a bit of left over mashed potatoes that helped to thicken the broth.  I put some coconut oil in the bottom of a pan added some finely diced Broccoli stocks (if you are like me you want to use those stalks some how...you paid for them), 2 green onions that needed used up, and a diced cheek from a large red pepper although you can use green (a pepper has 4 cheeks, just slice one off and dice it reserving the rest).  You can also use corn but I tend to have issues with corn so I leave it alone.  Cook up the raw veggies until tender then add some flour of your choice whisked in some chicken broth and make the gravy.

Roll out the dough.  I used the top of a wide-mouth quart jar to cut out the pie crust and tops and it worked perfectly.  Add a couple tablespoons of gravy after you put the bottom in the pan and add the lid.  I baked these for about 20 minute at 350 degrees.

Serve them hot today, let them cool and put the remainder in the freezer for a quick lunch.

Gabby loved them!  She gobbled it up then she gave me one of those great big GABBY SMILES!

No comments:

Post a Comment