Friday, August 16, 2013

Eating well on a Budget



Can you believe the typical food budget for a family of four is upwards of $700 a month?  I don't know how many of you can do that but I know I can't.  One of my strategies is my habit of doing a "what's in my refrigerator check".

Lots of times life happens and my menu gets changed.  Imagine that! So I end up with veggies or fruits that need eaten.  Statistics show that of that $700 a month about 30% is thrown away?  I could eat well on that 30%, so I try to keep a close check on what's in the frig or freezer that needs eaten.

Another great hint is to create your own ingredients.  What?  Last night I needed Tahini and you will see in my recipe conversion that I made my own, which is often easy and much less expensive.

So, I needed something for some broccoli and had chicken breast in the freezer last night.

I found a Ina Garten recipe for  Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli.  I knew I needed to:


  1. Reduce the recipe to 2 plus a 8 month old who HATES commercial baby food (and that's another post).
  2. Had to change some ingredients for the babies pallet and needs.
See how I changed the recipe to not only make it Gluten-free but friendly for our family, too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment