Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Socks - Socks - Socks



I first learned to knit when I was around 9 years old.  I made slippers, mittens and a scarf.  I didn't knit for long, but picked it back up just before and after I got married.  I made a beautiful lace shawl for my wedding.  Later I picked it up again once some of my children were older and made a cute holiday vest and other things.  Knitting for me comes and goes like the tide.

In January, after my second knee replacement surgery, I took a class in Lincoln on knitting socks.  I had made a couple pairs of socks but thought that a class assure me that I was actually doing it right. 

This class taught me to knit the socks on two circular needles instead of the 4 double pointed needles I had used in the past.  It was ackward at first but I got the hang of it right away.  I made the above pair out of wool yarn in the class.  They are mine!  I'm working on another pair right now which will be given away in our April Raffel.  I'm trying to knit at least one pair a month.  Maybe some of my kids will actually get some socks this year.........I hope.

I encourage you to try socks.  It's always kind of scary to 'turn the heel' but it really isn't that difficult.  The bonus is that you make the sock to actually FIT YOU and wool blends are soooo warm!  Even in the summer wool wicks away the moisture so if you are prone to have foot itch in the summer wool socks might be the ticket for you.  Many hikers insist on wool socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment