Thursday, February 16, 2012

Coconut Pudding



When I was a child I didn't like Coconut. I can't imagine why........now. My dad loved Coconut and told my brother and I that he was glad we didn't like Coconut because it meant more for him. Gradually I took the hint that he was trying to get me to like it and like it I have.


My interest in Coconut has expanded so much that I use Coconut Oil, Palm Shortening, Coconut Flour, and now even Coconut/Palm sugar. Why? Simple! I have discovered just how good COCONUT is for you. More on that following the recipe. Thankfully my husband loves coconut also so we are a team!


I forget where I got this original recipe but I have tweeked it to be ever so good and good for you. Keep in mind that I use organic whenever possible.  The added bonus is that it is also GLUTEN-FREE.



HOMEMADE COCONUT PUDDING

1 can whole fat Coconut Milk
1+ cups whole milk (raw if you can get it)
1/4 cup Tapioca* Starch
pinch of salt
3 large farm fresh eggs
2/3 cup Coconut Sugar** (can use regular sugar if you must)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla or Coconut Extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Add the coconut milk to a 3+ liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk to reach a total of 3 cups.

In a large saucepan combine the milk, tapioca, salt, eggs and sugar. Whisk until smooth. Cook over medium high heat, WHISKING CONSTANTLY, until thickened. This will take about 3-5 minutes. ***A spoon won't work here. If you want smooth pudding use the whisk***

Once the pudding has thickened, remove it from the heat and stir in the Extract. Fold in the Coconut. If you don't want a 'skin' to form on your pudding while it cools cover it with plastic wrap pressed down on the top of the pudding. I don't do this at all.

This is a wonderful pudding that can be served as breakfast or as a desert. We like it both warm and cold.

*If you want to avoid GMO products then avoid Corn Starch and use Tapioca Starch instead.

**Coconut Sugar is Low Glycemic and great for Diabetics.

Here's a Link to some other great COCONUT goodies:
http://pinterest.com/vickiah/coconut-joy/

No comments:

Post a Comment