Thursday, May 3, 2012

Planned Left-overs

We often do what I call "Planned Left-overs" at our house.  This consists of making several meals all at one time to put in the freezer for lunch or supper on a busy day.

Today my "Planned Left-overs" is TACO MEAT

Here's what I did:

I took 4 pounds grass-fed ground beef and 2 cups diced onions.  To that I added 1/2 cup Taco Seasoning Mix and 1 tablespoon salt.  This will be spicy so you can use less spice if you want.  Brown together until the meat is just turned from pink.

I removed 1/4th of the mixture and put in a crock pot.  To the crock-pot I put 1 can kidney beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles, and a small can of sliced black olives, drained. Cook on low for 6 hours.  This TACO SOUP can be eaten as soup with grated cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions for garnish or eaten with scooped tortilla chips.

This recipe serves 6-8 so I froze half of this for another meal later.

THE REMAINDER OF THE TACO MEAT

was bagged into 8 zippered freezer bags, rolled up and frozen standing up in the door of my freezer.  These are for quick lunches in soft or hard shell tacos or in buns as sloppy joes with cheese, diced tomatoes and lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment