Serves 4 (we like to do the whole recipe on this one so we have left-overs for lunch)
2 large free-range chicken breasts or 4 chicken cutlets
approximately 6-8 spinach leaves
1 roasted red pepper, quartered
4 slices nitrate-free ham slices
4 slices swiss cheese
sea salt and pepper to taste
1-2 farm fresh eggs
1/2-1 cup coarsely ground almond meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a baking dish with olive oil and set aside
- Large free-range chicken breasts can be cut in half length-wise (be careful) and then pounded between two pieces of waxed paper until they are about 1/4 inch thick with a cast iron skillet.
- Remove paper, season tops of breasts with salt and pepper. With the seasoned side down place a layer of spinach on the chicken. Next layer one slice of ham per breast followed by a quarter each of the roasted red pepper. Add the cheese.
- Carefully roll up each chicken breast starting with the narrower end and rolling to the other end.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl. Place almond meal in a separate bowl. Dredge a roll in the egg wash and then cover with the almond meal. Do this with all the breast rolls.
- Place the chicken rolls, seam side down in the baking dish. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Let rest for about 10 minutes and enjoy.