I grew the really thin French (Haricot) Green Beans this year and really like them. Harvest was average compared to the hybrid green beans, but you have to remember that this is heirloom. The flavor was great. I froze some in small, meal size bags for us. I will DEFINATELY grow these again next year......maybe exclusively.
Here's a couple of great recipes for serving two people.....go ahead and increase to serve your family:
French Green Beans
1/2 pound French Green Beans (just snap the stem end off)
2 green onions, finely sliced
1 tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon pure apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Blanch the beans by putting beans into a pan of boiling water and
cooking for about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to a bowlof ice water, allow the beans to cool. Remove, drain, and placein a bowl.
- Place the beans in a large bowl and add the green onions, tomatoes, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl whisk all the ingredients for the dressing. Pour over the salad
- 1/2 lb French style green beans, rinsed and microwaved for 4 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup water or 1/8 cup chicken broth
- coarse sea salt, to season
- pepper ( to season)
In a large pan over medium high heat, heat oil adding almonds and toss till for 1 minute add garlic to lightly brown add beans and water or broth cover for 5 minutes on low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
French Green Beans with Butter and Herbs
1 Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Boil the beans for 2 minutes. Plunge them into the ice water to stop the cooking and set the color. Drain the beans and pat dry on a cloth or paper towel.
2 Heat the butter over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Cook the onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3 Add the green beans and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
4 Add all the herbs and some salt and pepper and toss to combine. Cook for 1 minute more.
Serve hot or at room temperature, with lemon wedges.