In addition to tea I served Lemon Poppyseed Madeleines, Lemon Glazed Angel Food Cupcakes and Chocolate Strawberry Meringue Cookies and all was gluten-free. (Recipes Below)
Gluten-Free Lemon Glazed Angel Food Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (for cakes like mine)
1 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar (be sure it's fairly fresh)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a very large mixing bowl and let sand a room temperature for 30 minutes
- Sift powdered sugar and flour together (I found wisking well worked fine)
- Beat egg whites, cream of tarar and vinilla wih elecric ixer on med-high speed until soft peaks form (the tips curl).
- Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (stand straight up).
- Gently fold in flour, one-fourth at a time.
- Spoon into lined cup-cake cups (about 18).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes
2 cups powdered sugar, grated peel of one organic lemon, juice of one lemon. Combine all. Prick top of ho cupcakes with fork or toothpick. pour one tablespoon glaze over each cupcake, then pu back into the warm but urned off over for 3-4 minutes.
Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Madeleines
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon grated fresh, organic lemon peel
1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix (plus 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum if needed)
1 3/4 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
Powdered sugar to dust Madeleines
- Preheat oven o 375 degrees F
- Generouly grease 2 standard madeleine pans with butter
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. With electric mixer beat on high until creamy for about 4 minutes
- Add vanilla and lemon extracts, lemon peel and salt, beat to combine.
- Gradually add gluten-free flour mix and beat just unil combined.
- Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture while beaing until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared Madeleine molds until almost to the top.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden brown.
- Invert he pans ono wire ricks and give them a hard tap to remove the cookies/cakes from the molds.
- Serve warm dusted with a bit of confecioners' sugar.
Strawberry Meringue Cookies
3 large egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
3 oz box Strawberry Jello
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Beat egg whites and sal until foamy.
- Add Jello and sugar gradually; beat unil siff peaks form (stand straight up) and sugar is disolved.
- Mix in vinegar; fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet lined with wax paper (you could also pipe them)
- Bake at 250 degrees for 25 minutes
- Turn off oven; leave cookies in oven 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minues.
- Remove from pan and store in air tight container.