Sunday, April 8, 2012

SAUSAGE BREAKFAST MUFFINS

I was horrified after I found out I was Celiac (Gluten-Intolerant) and saw what the substitute for my Delicious whole wheat flour was. Starch, Starch and more.......STARCH. It wasn't long before I replaced my wheat grinder (contaminated with gluten now) and started grinding grains and seeds for my own high protein, high fiber, nutrient dense flour substitute mix. So today I'm using my own all-purpose flour blend and my freshly ground popcorn (corn meal) for these delish, on the go, muffins.

More on my healthier version of a GF Flour Blend next week.






These muffins will freeze or refrigerate well for a quick breakfast or snack and are perfect with my green smoothies.


Now a green smoothie is anything green (Kale, Romaine, Arugula, etc) and an few berries or fruit (I like banana and blue berries but use anything you like) blended smooth with some yogurt and a few ice cubes to make a delicious smoothie drink. Some times I will throw in a bit of goat milk protein powder too!


SAUSAGE BREAKFAST MUFFINS


8 ounces bulk sausage (or used sliced, cooked sausage links)
1 cup all-purpose flour blend
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup grated cheese
2 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon guar gum (if your using gluten-free flour blend doesn't already have it)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoon chives or diced green onion
1 cup milk (preferably raw milk)
2 beaten farm fresh eggs
2 tablespoons coconut or grapeseed oil
3/4 teaspoon salt


Saute sausage and drain. Mix together eggs, oil, honey and milk.


In another bowl combine the flour, meal, cheese, baking powder, gar gum, chives and salt. Add the liquid mixture, stir until moist. Fold in sausage. Fill oiled muffin pans 2/3 full (makes 12).


Bake 20-25 minutes in preheated 425 degree oven.


I especially like to make these on Sunday, refrigerate, and warm on Monday for a quick breakfast on-the-go.

No comments:

Post a Comment